4 Minute Fridays: How Social Media Makes You Weaker, Why We Need A Shower Filter And Should You Take A Multivitamin?Nov 17, 2023
Today's issue is brought to you by High Performance Founder Private Coaching. We help high-achieving entrepreneurs get lean, boost energy, and build healthy bodies.
We've got one more private coaching spot left for November so if you're an entrepreneur who's looking to get into your best shape in a way that fits your busy lifestyle click the link below to get started:
My birthday is coming up and I'm about to hit the big 44.
To celebrate it I'm doing an event that I like to call Monk Mode, which is a period of time where I forsake all distractions and focus only on business and family.
I did this last year and the results were incredible:
I stopped drinking for a full year, grew my business by 100%, and launched projects that I was procrastinating on.
Oh, and I grew this newsletter from 60,000 to 175,000+ awesome people (yourself included).
This is a period of intense discipline and focus. It helped so much last year that I'm bringing it back.
So here's what I'm doing until the end of 1st quarter of 2024:
- Limited social media usage
- Eliminating cannabis & alcohol
- Eliminating processed sugars
- Meditating for 10 minutes every day
- Reading one chapter or more every day
- Working on my business during the day
- Spending the rest of that time with my family
- Doing some form of exercise at least 30 minutes a day
This is how I'm celebrating my birthday.
Have you ever done something similar in your life?
Reply back. I'd love to know.
That being said...
Here is your 4 Minute Friday:
1. Should You Take A Multivitamin? (Sponsored Post)
The answer is...it depends.
If you're already eating a healthy diet packed with nutrients then a multivitamin may have little to no benefit.
If you're eating a good amount of fast foods and processed foods, or you feel your diet lacks a certain amount of nutrients then it may be helpful.
For example, more than 90% of Americans get less than the estimated average requirement for vitamin D and vitamin E from food sources alone.
We also know the impact that nutrients have in improving our mental health.
As for me, I feel as though I have a healthy diet but I still take a multivitamin as a form of nutrient insurance.
The one I take on a regular basis is Multivitamin+
Yes, this is a sponsored post but I actually use these on a regular basis. I know the founder personally and trust the quality he puts into his products.
It's easy to consume and it helps me hit whatever deficiencies that I may be lacking in my diet.
Use this link to get 20% off for first-time customers: Multivitamin+
2. Why Instagram Is Ruining Your Workouts
Researchers had strength-trained men perform a workout to failure after being on social media for 30 minutes.
They found that doing this led to a significant increase in mental fatigue and a 15% decrease in the amount of reps they could do.
Thankfully, this did not happen when the subjects watched educational content.
2 reasons why this happened:
- Social media has heavy demands on the brain. It is designed to get attention and stimulate your dopamine receptors.
- Social media is a net negative when it comes to how you feel about your body. You only see the fittest people on that app and that can lead to feeling worse about your own physique.
One of the best things I've done in my workouts is adopt an Apple watch. It allows me to track my workouts via the Strong app and this gives me a needed break away from my phone during my workouts.
Either way, if you want to be stronger stop scrolling between sets.
If you want a deeper look into how social media ruins our fitness check out this video:
3. How Your Shower Is Destroying Your Skin
Think back to the last time you took a shower. It was hot, steamy, and, if you're a parent, you probably had the only semblance of alone time during those brief 15 minutes.
Sure it felt good but depending on where you live you might not want to be washing your body with tap water.
When it comes to water most people think of filtering their drinking water but rarely do they think of their shower.
This is why I recommend getting a shower filter.
Chlorine is used by municipal water treatment centers to disinfect drinking water and make it safe for citywide distribution.
A shower filter is a filtration system that protects your hair and skin from dryness and irritation by eliminating chlorine and chloramine from the water.
Both of these are an agitator of a host of skin problems, blemishes, acne, and rashes.
On average, these last around 6 months and you'll feel a difference between the water that's filtered and water that is not.
Here's a shower filter from Amazon that I recommend.
Client Of The Week - John F, Entrepreneur
John is an entrepreneur who dealt with brain fog, low energy & a big gut.
His main goal was to get rid of his belly and develop a fitness routine so he could be a great example to his kids.
In 6 months, he dropped 53 lbs, 6 inches off his waist & started fitting into his old wedding suit. Most importantly, he's become the best version of himself.
- Limited alcohol intake so we could help him manage his energy & brain fog.
- Cleaned up his diet and ate .8g of protein per pound of body weight so he could build muscle while burning fat.
- Focused on strength training & walking
Since working together his energy is up, his brain fog is gone and his confidence is through the roof.
One Quote to Finish Your Week Strong
Something that people rarely ask themselves is why they want what they want.
An example would be the entrepreneur who works long nights, travels most of the year, and doesn't see his kids yet says he's doing it for his family.
But the reality is he's addicted to work and is identified with external measures of success.
Get clear about why you want the things you want. Avoid deluding yourself.
This way you point yourself towards the things that you truly desire that match up to the values you uphold.
When you're ready, here are 3 ways I can help:
1. The Lean Body 90 System: When you’re ready to get in great shape, Lean Body 90 is the obvious choice. You can get in great shape and reach your fitness goals in just 90 minutes a week. Lose weight and build muscle even without hours in the gym or highly restrictive diets. Join 1000+ students here.
2. Are you an entrepreneur who wants to get lean, boost energy, and get in your best shape? Apply for private one-on-one coaching here.
3. Promote yourself to 177,000+ subscribers by sponsoring this newsletter.